With a fresh new year at our fingertips, many of us are health-minded when choosing what to serve ourselves, our friends and our family. But with that new year comes low temps and a craving for hearty, satisfying dishes. Pair our creamy butternut squash soup with a warm, green salad and you won’t have to compromise calories or flavor.
Curried Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups (one medium) butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 - 14oz can light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Mexican crema
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper, curry powder, ground cinnamon and red pepper. Stir to coat. Then cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth and honey. Bring to a low boil over medium heat and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth. If using a blender, return soup back to pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more curry powder, salt or sweetener as needed. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
- Transfer soup to bowls. Drizzle the crema, garnish with pumpkin seeds and enjoy!
Leave a Reply