With a fresh new year at our fingertips, many of us are health-minded when choosing what to serve ourselves, our friends and our family. But with that new year comes low temps and a craving for hearty, satisfying dishes. Pair our creamy butternut squash soup with a warm, green salad and you won’t have to compromise calories or flavor.
Warm Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked guinoa
- 3/4 pound brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 bunch kale (5-6 cups), steamed & leaves thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet apples, diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, diced
- groat cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package and cool completely. While quinoa is cooling, in a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the Brussels sprouts and onion. Season generously with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until sprouts are light golden. Add the kale to the skillet and sauté, stirring until kale is slightly wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add in the apples and quinoa. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat. Top with goat cheese crumbles and walnuts. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.